|Entertainment||Free||Plex Inc.||iPhone, iPad, iPod|
Here are some ways that Plex makes your media experience awesome:
• Makes your media beautiful with artwork, descriptions, and more
• Automatically converts your media on-the-fly to play on any device
• Makes sharing your media with friends and family simple and easy
• Lets you browse, fling, and control your media on most Plex apps
• Gives you access to a wide range of online channels such as TED Talks, Revision3, and TWiT
• Enables you to queue online videos from sites like Vimeo and YouTube and then Watch Later on any device
• Unlimited casting of photos and videos from the Camera Roll on your phone or tablet to all of your screens (such as your computer, smartphone, tablet, streaming devices, game consoles, smart TVs, and more!)
• Unlimited casting of any media on your Plex Media Server to all of your screens
• Remote control of your big screen Plex Apps
LIMITATION: Playing media from your Plex Media Server on the device running this app is limited (one minute for music and video, watermark on photos) until the app is unlocked.
UNLOCK FULL FUNCTIONALITY:
You can remove the playback limitations on the app in several ways:
• Use a Plex Pass enabled account to sign into the app -OR-
• Sign up for a monthly Plex Pass subscription in the iOS app -OR-
• Make a small, one-time, in-app purchase of just the iOS app itself
NOTE: If you've already purchased the app or have a Plex Pass, you do NOT need to purchase again!
Other features include*:
• Accessibility: Connect to your Plex Media Server wherever you are, whenever you want
• Plex Home: Use customized, managed accounts, and restrict content those users can access
• Camera Upload: Automatically upload your photos from your device to your Plex Media Server
• Mobile Sync: Sync media to your phone or tablet for offline viewing
• Security: Enjoy your media away from home, knowing connection is securely encrypted
• Plex Mix: Kick off a playlist of similar and related tracks from your collection at any time
• Rotten Tomatoes: See how your movie collection ranks with ratings from Rotten Tomatoes
• Related Movies and TV shows: Easily find similar movies based on selections in your library
• Top Movies: View top movies by genre, director, and actor
• Movie Extras and Music Videos: Access trailers, extras, and music videos from your libraries
• Mini Player: Continuous viewing and control over what's playing while browsing the app
• Multi-disc support: Listen to multi-disc music albums the way they were meant to be
*Please note, some features are only available to Plex Pass subscribers.
The app offers (but does not require!) a Monthly Plex Pass In-app Purchase for the equivalent of US$4.99. The purchase will be charged monthly to your iTunes Account after confirmation of your purchase.
With Plex, your media universe is constantly expanding. Getting up and running is easy, so start now!
NOTE: PLEX FOR IOS REQUIRES IOS 8.1+; YOU MUST HAVE A PLEX MEDIA SERVER (AVAILABLE FOR FREE) INSTALLED AND RUNNING TO STREAM LOCAL MEDIA. VERSION 0.9.12.5 OR HIGHER IS REQUIRED. DRM-protected content (such as video from the iTunes store), ISO disc images, and VIDEO_TS folders are not supported.
This VERY frustrating. I spent time setting up a Home screen (tab) and getting it just the way I wanted only to have all my changes thrown away when the app launched again. Preferences are NEVER saved. Have tried repeatedly on multiple devices. (7). NSUserDefaults guys!! Happens on ALL iphones, ipads and appleTv’s. I’ve been running a Plex server for (easily) 10+ years. The original app worked well. The web UI works well. But this latest incarnation is HORRIBLE. The developer clearly doesn’t know how to write for IOS or TvOS and obviously isn’t interested in fixing it. Maybe I should just write my own.
i don’t know what i have done with out Plex thank you
...in the support forums long enough to get the server working and in the FireTV app long enough to figure out how its UI works. The Plex server installation docs and the app user docs simply aren’t ready for the someone who just wants to cut the cord without having to master any of the technical details behind the curtain.
Somehow this app always thinks my servers are offline. It’s been, I don’t know how many months or even years since this app has worked for me yet Infuse sees my servers just fine from the same phone.
I have to consistently kill and restart the app to get it to play music in my vehicle and today it ate through fully 100% of my battery in the background while I was at work - and it was in AIRPLANE MODE. What in the world?
The new iOS update moves to an old school left hand hamburger menu layout that would be much more at home on Android. I realize that it is easier to make a single interface, but this is paid software and it should feel comfortable for the target platform. I love plex. I’ll keep right on using plex for sure. But this new layout change is an over optimization for people with complicated libraries. For most of us, with just Tv, Movies and Music, the old layout was much much better.
Since the last update I can’t shuffle play my synced and downloaded songs without the app freezing after playing a few songs. I mostly use PLEX for this feature. If it’s broken all of the added features are not worth it to me. Please fix.
Don’t update! Wait for PLEX to get through beta testing on their customers before you update. Freezes on loading sources. Restarting phone doesn’t help.
Few hiccups here and there. Server is on a VPN but have had little issue streaming over LTE. Continuous app updates have made it smoother and more dynamic over time. Well worth the lifetime pass.
You have to really want the DVR features to put up with that part of the UI. The Plex App on a FireTV stick displays an icon for every program the Plex media server ever recorded, by episode number, in no logical order, and with no evident way to find that which it most recently recorded. My wife is right in grieving for the loss of big cable. At least its UI made some sense.